Whether you’re fairly new to genealogy, or a seasoned pro, you’ve most likely used FamilySearch.org.
Recently they released some seriously awesome improvements and we couldn’t help but take the time to share some of the reasons we love, love, love the LDS family history website now more than ever.
5 Reasons Why FamilySearch.org is the Place to Go for Genealogists
1. Absolutely and Always Free
That’s right, FamilySearch is completely and totally free. Better yet, they’re a nonprofit organization so they’re not trying to ease you into some sort of paid subscription. Some of you may be saying “no kidding captain obvious!” but we know that many of you reading this article are just beginning your genealogy journey and, frankly, it’s nice to have a little heads up on these things.
2. Super Easy to Use and Great Tutorials
FamilySearch.org has one of most intuitive layouts of any genealogy website anywhere. The search and features are easy to find and simple to make sense of, plus they have an awesome Getting Started Guide (with video help) and a Learning Center for genealogists that is detailed and down right fun.
3. Contains an Enormous Amount of Family History Data
OK, not just an enormous amount of data, but the largest collection of genealogical and historical records in the world–records that they’ve been collecting for more than 100 years. There is simply no other family history organization around today that can make that claim, or even come close to it. And did we mention that access to all of their records is free — online and off?
4. Seriously Powerful Search Tools and Features
Do you want to…
- start an online family tree
- search for an ancestor and attach the records you locate directly to that person in your tree
- filter your search results by date, place, relationship, role and much more
- expand your research with genealogies published by other people
- print a fan chart
- store and share your photos and documents
- import information form another tree you’ve already begun
- export your search results to a spreadsheet for further sorting and evaluation?
Well, at FamilySearch you can. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
5. Beautiful Design
We can pretend that design doesn’t matter that much but, really, it’s a big one. FamilySearch.org has always had a clean, easy to navigate site–but their most recent redesign is simply gorgeous. We pretty much guarantee that just being there will make you want to work on your family tree (until 3 am). So go check it out and when you’re done you might want to read about more free genealogy research sites here.