Could You Become a Daughter of the American Revolution? Find Out Here

Could You Become a Daughter of the American Revolution? Find Out Here

New Ancestry Crash Course!

Learn to use Ancestry.com like an expert in 21 days with our fun, online lessons.

Do you believe that you may have an American Revolutionary War ancestor? Or perhaps you already know you that you do and would like to connect with others who also have Revolutionary Era roots?

If so, you may qualify to become part of one of the most respected membership organizations in the US, The Daughters of the American Revolution.

Started in 1890 as a way for women to showcase their patriotism and serve their country, this lineage-based organization now has nearly 200,000 members who take part in a wide variety of important projects. Members come from many backgrounds, a testament to the rich diversity of our country and its history.

DAR members have access to many special opportunities, but perhaps the most intriguing is the chance to connect their family trees with the detailed, proven lineages that comprise such an important part of America’s past. And DAR has made it easy to begin finding such a connection with two free online databases for genealogical research.

If you have already done some research and believe one or more of your ancestors may have served in the Revolutionary War, you can do a search now to see if they, or their descendants, appear in one of these databases.

DAR Ancestors Database – a simple free search for Revolutionary Era ancestors

DAR Descendants Database — free search for known descendants of those who served in the Revolutionary War, over 7 million names

Here’s What a Search Result in the DAR Ancestor Database Looks Like

DAR_file

If you have not yet traced your roots back to the Revolutionary period, try searching the descendants database first to find a connection to someone in your tree that you suspect may have a Revolutionary lineage.

Or spend some time building your tree on lines you suspect may be a good match first, and then go back and search on DAR. Find free research resources here.

These two databases are also wonderful tools for anyone researching ancestors during the Revolutionary period in the US, even if you don’t intend to apply for membership. In fact, DAR offers many interesting resources for family historians that anyone with early American roots will not want to miss. Find their complete genealogy section here.

Of course, simply finding an ancestor in one of these databases does not secure you a spot in the organization. Membership requires a documented and approved direct lineage.  See DAR’s how-to on applying for membership here.

Make Instant Discoveries in Your Family Tree Today
Imagine adding your family history information to a simple program and getting hundreds of new discoveries instantly.

MyHeritage is offering 2 free weeks of access right now to their extensive collection of 7.2 billion records, as well as their matching technology that instantly connects you with new information. Simply sign up using the link below to start making new discoveries right now.

Note: DAR is a women’s organization. Men with Revolutionary War ancestors can take a look at SAR, Sons of the American Revolution, which also has free research databases.

We’d love to hear if you are currently applying for membership or are a member of DAR. Tell us about it in the comments.

By Melanie Mayo, Editor of Family History Daily

Image: D.A.R. of Virginia pay tribute to Unknown Soldier of Revolutionary War. 1929. Library of Congress

Get Our Genealogy Articles by Email Each Week
  • Barbara Stowell
    April 27, 2017 at 2:02 pm

I have a very simple question, I should have asked my Mother-in-law when she was still living. Can I join based on my Husband’s family?

• Cathy
    April 26, 2017 at 2:42 pm

I am a daughter and really enjoy this organization. My grandmother was a daughter too. Have old roots back to first families of Virginia and Jamestown. Wish I had joined sooner.

• Roberta Smith
    April 25, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Yes I have researched on my own and at this point I have 6 – 5th and 6th generation grandfathers who were Revolutionary War Veterans.

• Jo Campbell
    April 24, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I have been a member of NSDAR since 2007 through patriot Martin Roberts of VA. My daughters are members also: one through Patriot Thomas Hutchins; one through William Depriest and one through James Mead of Vermont. I treasure the friends I have made from all over the country and the service work that we do.

• Erin Kelly
    April 24, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I am eligible a few times, using Jabez Beckwith, Benjamin Barrett, and several other lines (Stone, etc.)

At the moment I see no reason to peruse membership. Perhaps when I am older ❤️

When I informed my mother and grandmother of our eligibility they were over the moon.

• Neva
      April 24, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Today’s DAR is not just for older women. We are a very active, non-political, service organization. We are actively looking for women 18-35 to be involved in our communities and schools to preserve history, educate children, and promote patriotism. Don’t wait until you are older, then regret the time you could have been making a difference in your community, with our military, and helping to educate children. I only joined 9 years ago, and wish I had joined when I was much younger.

• Linda williams
    November 5, 2016 at 6:57 am

Yes, I am a daughter! Have all the paperwork to prove it. Even met with people! Grandma was a member too. But turned out too expensive to join at the time.

• Judith Stone-Young
    November 4, 2016 at 5:13 pm

My line goes back to William Stone born 1720 in Scotland moved to Virginia with his wife Victoria and fought on Kings mtn

• rosemary Houck
    May 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I am now in the process of applying for membership in the local chapter of DAR. However, the amount of documentation has me stalled at present. My line goes back to William Tomlinson of Virginia– born in 1730. Any help would be appreciated.

• Marylin DeYoung
      May 10, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Is the registrar of a local chapter working with you? If not, you can find out who to contact through the National Society of DAR. They can be very helpful. Mine did most of the work for my first patriot. I’m still working on the second one and have hit a brickwall. My registrar has been faithfully working with me, but neither of us can get just one piece of documentation that I need.

• Neva
      April 24, 2017 at 6:21 pm

We are proud to say that Rosemary’s paperwork was completed with help from our Lineage Research team. She is now a member of the Zebulon Pike Chapter in Colorado Springs, CO. You do not have to do your application alone. There are resources and helpers in each chapter to assist you with the process.

• Ruth MF Tucker
    April 30, 2016 at 9:45 am

I have been a member of DAR since 1996 when I joined on the line through David Kingman, Massachusetts. My mother had been a member since the mid 1970s and I was able to link to her membership. Since then I have expanded her research to update the files and also extend it to several other Revolutionary War ancestors.

• Marylin DeYoung
    April 30, 2016 at 6:58 am

I am a member of DAR through Moses Bedunah, the first time he was used. I am preparing a supplemental for William Hovey who is already established. My daughter, 2 granddaughters, and the granddaughter of a cousin have followed me in through Moses Bedunah.

• Mary Brisley
    April 29, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Marshal Catlin

• Mary Brisley
    April 29, 2016 at 12:18 pm

My grandmother was Gertude Catlin, her father was Marshaling Catlin. I believe his ancestor landed in 1640