Are You One of 35 Million Mayflower Descendants? Here’s How to Find Out

Are You One of 35 Million Mayflower Descendants? Here’s How to Find Out

New Ancestry Crash Course!

Learn to use Ancestry.com like an expert in 21 days with our fun, online lessons.

There’s no doubt that the landing of the Mayflower in the ‘New World’ in 1620 is one of the most important events in American history. Whether you know all of the facts about this historic voyage or not, discovering a connection to this iconic American event would be truly exciting for any family historian. Yet, most of us have never seriously considered that we may be descended from a Mayflower passenger. After all, what are the chances?

Turns out, they’re pretty darn good. Although there were only about 130 passengers on the Mayflower, and the number of individuals who left descendants is significantly less, it is estimated that more than 35 million individuals living today are direct descendants of those individuals.

The Mayflower Society, an association for those with proven Mayflower descent, lists 51 possible Mayflower ancestors. Although there are only approximately 25 individual male lines of descent from the Mayflower this list includes all passengers with known descendants, even those in the same family.

A proven direct line back to one of these individuals will allow you access to the society.

• John Alden
  • Samuel Eaton
  • Sarah Eaton
  • Moses Fletcher
  • Edward Fuller
  • Mrs. Edward Fuller
  • Samuel Fulle
  • Samuel Fuller (son of Edward)
  • Constance Hopkins
  • Richard Warren
  • Peregrine White
  • Resolved White
  • Susanna White
  • William White
  • Edward Winslow

These individuals certainly left their imprint on American history, but how do you know if you are descended from one of them?

If you’re lucky enough to share a surname with someone on the list, you could start by carefully researching that line in your tree and seeing if you can make a connection. Of course, having the same surname is no guarantee that it came from a Mayflower passenger, but it’s certainly worth a check.

The vast majority of descendants, however, will not have a surname from this list. Marriage of female descendants means that you could be many, many generations removed from a surname connection.

If you suspect, or know, that you have early American roots you have a good chance of finding a Mayflower ancestor.

If you’re unsure whether or not you have early American lines you will need to go back a few generations on each line of your tree before beginning your Mayflower research. If you get past the major waves of immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries on a family line — and your ancestors are still showing birth locations in the US — there is a good chance that at least some of that line continues far enough into the American past to be a candidate.

Don’t assume you do not have early American ancestry just because you have been told you are 100% Irish or that all of your ancestors came through Ellis Island. Family stories are often confused, incorrect or leave out important chunks of lost history — especially when it concerns female lines.

Find Out If You Are a Mayflower Descendant

Sadly, there is no simple search online that will tell you if you connect to a Mayflower passenger, but we did locate several free resources that can help you uncover a connection. Put your research hats on!

The first thing you will want to do is attempt to locate a line in your tree that could be connected. Again, look for suspected old American lines. You’ll want to get back to the early to mid 1800s using your own research, if possible, before beginning your search.

Make Instant Discoveries in Your Family Tree Today
Imagine adding your family history information to a simple program and getting hundreds of new discoveries instantly.

MyHeritage is offering 2 free weeks of access right now to their extensive collection of 7.2 billion records, as well as their matching technology that instantly connects you with new information. Simply sign up using the link below to start making new discoveries right now.

Now look at the sources below to see if you can match one of your ancestors to a known descendants.

Index to Descendants of Mayflower Passengers: This is a surname only index of individuals found in one of the Mayflower Families Through Five Generations volumes (see below for more information about this collection). If you have one of these surnames in your tree you have a better chance of locating a connection.

Complied Descendant Genealogies: We also located this interesting database on Rootweb. It is a combined database of genealogies with known connections to the Mayflower. We cannot account for its accuracy, but many sources are included and it is worth searching quickly to see if you have any of these names in your tree. If you do, you may be able to find a valid connection.

Check HathiTrust: Hathitrust, a free online research library also offers a wide variety of publications containing descendants. You can view the list here. You can also do a general search for your ancestors with the word “Mayflower” to locate potential connections. For more information on using this huge resource read this article.

Search Google: You can also manually search out each of your suspected Mayflower connected ancestors online in Google. Try typing in an early American name, preferably pre 1850, with the words Mayflower, Mayflower ancestry, Mayflower descendants or other related terms and you may just get lucky and stumble across someone else who has already made the connection. Don’t forget to verify all of your sources and never use someone else’s research inappropriately (such as by copying and pasting into your own tree without permission).

Once you think you have a connection you can do more research on verified lines.

There are several main sources of accurate Mayflower descendant information, but most of them are not easily accessible online.

The most important and respected is the Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, a multi-volume collection also known as the Silver Books, published by The General Society of Mayflower Descendants (which the surname index above pulls its information from).

The original books contained information about the first five generations of descendants from the Mayflower passengers, but new information is being added to this collection all of the time. Look here for all of the published information and ordering details. There is also a good list of all volumes here, with links to ordering information for each volume on Amazon.

If purchasing your needed volume is not possible or desired you may be able to locate it at a local library or research center. Check WorldCat to find a copy in your area or discover how to access the volumes through the Family History Library. You can also request a free lookup of your ancestor in these books and other sources from Ancestral Findings.

Again, you can use Hathitrust as well to access established lines in various publications, or search for your potential connection in Google to locate a location or family based project with published, accurate genealogies.

Once you are sure you have a valid connection to an established line, continue your research until you can create a complete line of descent from the Mayflower passenger to yourself. Include names, dates of birth and death and marriage information. Attach sources such as birth, marriage and death records or published family histories.

Once you have this information collected you can ask the General Society of Mayflower Descendants to prove your ancestry. It will cost you $25 but, if proven, you will have documented lineage to a Mayflower passenger and qualify for membership.

These are only a few of the resources online for researching Mayflower ancestors. There are a huge variety of forum posts, published genealogies, family and surname based research groups, state based resources and more online. Once you make a tentative connection, use the power of Google or your favorite search engine to locate more resources to help you in your research.  Find some great tricks and tips for getting the most out of a Google search for genealogy here.

If you are a Mayflower descendant we would love to hear your story of discovery and learn of any resources that helped you. Please post them in the comments.

By: Melanie Mayo | Editor, Family History Daily

Mayflower Painting by William Halsall

Get Our Genealogy Articles by Email Each Week
  • Janeigh M Stalling
    May 16, 2017 at 3:28 pm

I am currently trying to find the family tie to the Mayflower. Our direct descendant is Bathsheba Joyce. She is listed in one of the Mayflower Descendants (volume VII No. 1), but I can only find a connection to her great-uncle John Howland. Would you be recognized as a Mayflower Descendant through an uncle or am I missing a connection? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I am working on a family history book for my husband for Father’s Day and I would love to add this in there.

• Kathy Newberry
    May 2, 2017 at 8:32 pm

I am a descendant of George Soule and also William White, George Soule Was My 9th gr grandfather!
    One of George soules Descendants married William whites descendant 4-5 generations down the line!
    My gr gr Grandmother was Caroline Soule:)

• Darrell
    March 27, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I descended from Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fuller both through their son Samuel who was on the Mayflower as well as their son Matthew (who came over in a later ship). I also descend from Edward Doty and Governor William Bradford. The closest surname to me was great-great grandmother was a Doty in direct line of descent of Edward Doty.

• W. R.
    March 7, 2017 at 10:59 am

I am a descendant of SILAS AYERS and MARY BYRAM AYERS, who are the descendants of TWELVE of the original Pilgrims (from the three ships that brought them over). The MAYFLOWER, FORTUNE and the LITTLE JOHN.

There is an interesting old book called:
    “Ancestors of Silas Ayers and Mary Byram Ayers”. It was published around 1905 in Detroit, MI.

Go to this link to see the book: https://archive.org/details/ancestorsofsilas00ayer

If you can trace your family tree back to Silas and Mary Byram Ayers, you are eligible to be part of FIVE different groups:
    -The Society of Mayflower Descendants
    -The Society of Colonial Wars
    -Sons of the American Revolution
    -Daughters of the American Revolution
    -The Alden Kindred of America

Silas Ayers was in the MINUTE MEN in New Jersey and was in the Revolutionary War.

It would be interesting to see who else is a descendant of Silas and Mary Byram Ayers – and their ancestors the original Pilgrims!

• Jacquelyn Parker
    March 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I’ve been doing the ancestry website and have traced back to Thomas Rogers. I sent my DNA out and am waiting for a response. I had no idea.

• Jeffery Snyder
      May 7, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I am also a descendant of Thomas Rogers, through his son John Rogers who came over approx. 10 yrs later and through his daughter Abigail Rogers who married into the Richmond family. I’ve only recently learned all this and it’s been pretty exciting.

• Kyle Duncan
    February 25, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I found out that on my Dad’s side I’m related to Peregrine White. He was the first English person born in the new colony (and was in fact born on the Mayflower itself while docked in the harbor). My parents are from Poughkeepsie, NY and it was really cool to find out that some of the descendants from Peregrine White later settled in the Dutchess County area and that is eventually where my grandfather and father come from. I love finding out about this kind of stuff!

• debbie Monroe Hudson
    February 25, 2017 at 7:10 am

Several months ago I was on another site and John Clark was listed as a passanger on the Mayflower. They stated he was the first one off the ship. Was this not correct.

• Crystal Solana Bryan
    February 20, 2017 at 3:09 pm

My ancestors arrived at least 40 years prior to the Mayflower, Spanish St Augustine and Santa Elena had grandchildren running around and businesses fully established by the time the Mayflower got to N America. We had the first European Thanksgiving, held Sept 8, 1565. My family, with the surname Solana, arrived only 7 years prior to the Mayflower, but married into a family, the Peres, that was well established by that time. Solana is the oldest European name to have been continuously documented in this country. I might also have Mayflower via my mother’s side or the settlers who married into the Solana family once FL became a US Territory in 1821, but I feel compelled to remind people that the history of our country extends to the Spanish colony of La Florida, a forgotten chapter in most school curriculums. For us, Sir Francis Drake was a pirate who burned our church and town to the ground rather than a hero of English history. Nuestra Señora de los Remedios was the first church built here, with its congregation buried under the floor. An archaeological dig is currently ongoing, making discoveries of that lost time in our past. St Augustine will turn 452 this year, come celebrate and learn, the town is charming and welcoming.

• Linda Puryea
      February 20, 2017 at 4:04 pm

You are correct Crystal. St. Augustine is the oldest city in the USA. Florida 4th graders learn about our Florida roots and the early settlers of our state. St. Augustine is a favorite field trip for both students and teachers each year. Thanks for sharing.

• Kay
    January 1, 2017 at 9:48 am

I had a delightful New Year’s Eve surprise when I made the final connections on Ancestry.com to Giles Hopkins, Stephen Hopkin’s son. Dozens of distant relatives had already done the research online in Ancestry, so all I had to do is follow the path of little green leaves through generations of my family until I arrived at Plymouth and boarded the Mayflower. Our family has had some proud, elderly historians, who successfully made the connections to the DAR and DAC, but they sure “missed the boat” with our Mayflower ties!

• Jan Corley
      January 25, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Hello Kay,

My name is Jan Corley and Stephen Hopkins is a distant grandfather of mine through his son, Giles. I live in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada and thoroughly enjoy genealogy. If you would like to connect, you can reach me at jcorley@nexicom.net

Jan

• Linda Puryea
    December 19, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I, too, have found this research of my family lines amazing! I stumbled on the Mayflower link when I researched my G Grandmother on my father’s side and found she was from the Loud family who had a published line from William Brewster through his son Jonathan. Verifying and documenting the Mayflower Society’s requirements for the last 3 generations has been the expensive and frustrating part. As of 2016, the society requires the following from you, your parents and grandparents on both sides (doesn’t matter if the parent or grandparent is not a carrier of the Mayflower gene)…death certificate state certified ( obituaries, pictures of grave stones do not count)…marriage license state certified ( church certificate does not count)…state certified birth certificate (baptism certificate and family Bible records do not count) and if you do not have these for the 6 people, including yourself and your spouse, you will not be approved by the Mayflower Society. I have just ordered my last needed certificate for my grandmother ( a picture of her grave stone and published obituary have already been provided) and hope this will finalize all the research that I have done. It is expensive, but I hope it will be worth it to future family descendants who wish to apply.

• November 19, 2016 at 1:18 pm

My family has been aware that Mary Chilton is our Grandmother through my Fathers bloodline since the early 1900’s, but was very surprised to find out recently that we also Have John Howland as our Grandfather on my Mothers side! How unusual is that, that both of my parents have Grandparents from the Mayflower? I have lived within 20 miles of Plymouth, Ma. all of my life and have found ancestors in every cemetery I’ve looked at in central to Eastern Ma.

• David Carlton Moore
    November 15, 2016 at 7:41 am

Just getting started with my family Mayflower Genealogy Research; just finished Sons of American Revolution (SAR) research and now have become a member of SAR thanks to my patriot ancestors. Looking for Mayflower connections with family names: HUMPHREY; SPRAGUE & HERSEY. Surely with the importance of Mayflower descendants a “central database” has been established without having to reinvent the wheel each time.

• Vicki Green
      November 21, 2016 at 6:52 am

Totally agree with you about a “central database”. I have started my Brewster line and would certainly appreciate other approved research beside the 1st five generations.

• Jackie Stoddard
    November 2, 2016 at 3:30 am

importantly you have left out of the list , the Adams

ancestors of John Adams USA President and his wife Abigail Smith (I am related

• Richard McAuley
      December 30, 2016 at 6:52 am

Adamses, on the Mayflower? Perhaps you meant to say that Joseph Adams married Hannah Bass, who was the daughter of Ruth Alden and John Bass, and a granddaughter of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins? Joseph and Hannah were the grandparents of John Adams. John Bass’ parents, Joseph Bass and Anne Savill came in 1630 with Winthrop’s fleet.

• Jim Brown
        February 18, 2017 at 6:53 am

There was a John Adams that came over on the Fortune in the fall of 1621. But I don’t think this was the presidential lineage of Adams.

• Jan Corley
    October 29, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I am connected to Stephen Hopkins thru his son Giles. Stephen is my 11thgg. If any one wants to connect, I would love that. jcorley@nexicom.net

• Jan Corley
    October 19, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Grandparents- William Watson Butcher- Adelaide McIloney.
    1stGG- John William Butcher- Florence Elizabeth Bacon.
    2ndGG- Mark Thomas Butcher- Mary Jane Wills.
    3rdGG- John Watson Butcher- Frances Maria Hart.
    4thGG- Thomas Godfrey Hart- Ann Ross.
    5thGG- Jairus Hart- Frances Godfrey.
    6thGG- Gideon Godfrey- Sarah Hadley.
    7thGG- Benjamin Godfrey- Elizabeth Hopkins.
    8thGG- Moses Godfrey- Deborah Cooke.
    9thGG- Deborah Hopkins- Josiah Cooke, Jr.
    10thGG- Giles Hopkins- Katherine Wheldon.
    11thGG- Stephen Hopkins- Mary ? This is his first wife.

My parents- Miriam Butcher- Fairful William Given ( dad is deceased- mom is 90 ).
    Me- Jan Given- Frank Donald Corley ( we are divorced but I still go by Corley ).

• Jan Corley
    October 19, 2016 at 11:59 am

I am a direct descendant of Stephen Hopkins through his son, Giles. This is fascinating!! I live in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. Deanna Huff, what part of Ontario is your family from? Maybe we are neighbours.

Jan Corley

• Deanna Huff
      October 19, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Hi Jan, no such luck! I’m in Petrolia, which is near Sarnia. Basically at the US border wth Port Huron, Michigan. Cheers though cousin, haha. The world keeps getting smaller hey.

• Jan Corley
        October 19, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Oh I know where Sarnia is. My brother-in-law was from there. Their last name is Thomas but don’t think any more of his relatives are there. But genealogy is so interesting. By the way, have you ever been to Peterborough?

• Anissa Davis, KY Historian GSMD
    October 2, 2016 at 4:18 am

The article states you can send your line to GSMD and for $25 they will prove your line. This is incorrect. They will do a preliminary review for $25. This means you submit your proposed line (no documentation) and they will let you know which generations are already proven and which ones you will need to provide documentation for. Membership to GSMD is done on a state level, so find your state historian and they can help you through the process.

• Vicki
      November 8, 2016 at 7:22 am

Thank you so much Anissa. I was looking for the submission process for my Brewster Line . I found the Indiana site, filled in the required lineage and sent it to the historian. Generally, how long to get a reply to my proposed lineage?

• emma toenniges
    September 30, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I am working on a friends family history he is directly related to 14 different lines of the Mayflower.

• Carol boyd
    September 28, 2016 at 5:40 am

What happened to John Howland?

• Ernestine Clark Patterson
    September 26, 2016 at 6:36 am

I am a direct descendant of Stephen Hopkins and have done all the research to prove it. I submitted my application in July to belong to the Descendants of the Mayflower and now i am waiting. I learned about Stephen Hopkins while researching another genealogy line so you can imagine my surprise !! He was like my 10 G Grandfather back.

• Deanna Huff
      September 26, 2016 at 6:55 am

Through which one of his children?

• Catherine Minick
      October 7, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Constance Hopkins, daughter of Stephen Hopkins, is my 10th great grandmother – I am related through the Snows down to Aaron Thomas – to Nortons and Beemans

• Todd
    September 26, 2016 at 6:28 am

I have done some research to find out if I’m a descendent. I have found it very expensive. Also the Mayflower Society is also very expensive to join. With a possible 35 million membership base they would be helping anyway possible to increase the membership. But, I have found the complete opposite. The society is, seems to me, very secretive and exclusive. I have done my research. I have found a link to the Mayflower. I don’t need the Mayflower Society to confirm.

• Deanna Huff
    September 25, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Stephen Hopkins is 11th gr grandfather.

Descent through:
    his daughter Iva Ellen Shephard, m Douglas Martin Miller
    her daughter Nadine Anne Miller, m John Harold Huff
    her son Robert John Huff, m Carol Anne Rosenbloom
    me, Deanna Marie Huff

• John
    August 27, 2016 at 3:06 am

I started researching my family ancestry a few years ago and got quite far back on my fathers side on a few lines but started running into all sorts of brick walls so I put the research on hold. A few weeks ago, I decided to try doing some research on my mothers line and I accidentally discovered a direct line of descent from my great grandmother to a family of pilgrims that helped settle Plymouth Mass., though they did not arrive on the Mayflower.
    My 10th great grandparents, John and Sarah Jenney sailed a few years (1623) after on a ship called “The Little James”. They were part of the group that went to Leiden Holland in the early 1600s with William Brewster and the other pilgrims but for some reason they decided not to embark on the Mayflower and instead waited until 1623 to make the journey to New England. Once they arrived in Plymouth, they quickly became an important part of the new colony by erecting the 1st successful “Grist Mill” for grinding corn into mill and flour. John also created the 1st salt works for the colony and was part of the early governing council. Family records indicate that they were close friends of William Bradford and Miles Standish among others.
    I thought this was cool enough knowing that they were my ancestors until I started researching the lines branching from them and to my utter amazement, a few days ago I discovered that I am also directly descended from a line of the Mayflower Passengers and then this evening I discovered that I am also descended from a 2nd line. . The 1st line is Isaac and Mary Allerton , who were my 11th great grandparents and their daughter Mary (Allerton) Cushman, who was my 10th great grandmother. The 2nd line is that of Richard and Elizabeth Warren, who were also my 11th great grandparents. Thier daughter Mary was my 10th great grandmother. I am just beginning the process of documenting my research in order to get my lineage proved and it is one of the most amazing journeys I have ever embarked upon. I have never been to New England and now I can’t wait for the day when I can walk upon the lands and buildings that my families helped build. It is to be a very special thanksgiving this year.

• Judi Reeves
      February 19, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Wow! we are distant cousins. This past summer, quite by accident I found I’m a 9th great granddaughter of Isaac Allerton and his 2nd wife fear Brewster, daughter of William Brewster. Which also makes William Brewster my 10th great grandfather. It seems Isaac & Fear’s are the 4th great grandparents of Rachel Allerton and she married a Reeves. The Reeves line continues down to me.

• Kristen Dunder
    August 15, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just discovered that my mother’s side goes back to John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, both of whom were Mayflower passengers. This was the side of my family I knew the least about until I started doing research on familysearch.org. Fascinating!

• TRISHA LUKE
    April 22, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I have traced my roots clear back to the Mayflower. Elizabeth Tilly and her parents and John Howland are both grandparents of mine. I can trace from them all the way down to my birth in 1967 on my mother’s side.

• Kelli crandall
      August 4, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I just found that my daughters and granddaughters are descended from the Tilley’s daughter, Elizabeth and her husband John Howland. We are in Indiana.

• Carol Guy
      December 5, 2016 at 11:56 am

Hello: Trying to determine if my Tilley line is from the same Mayflower Tllley line. I have Elizabeth Tilley B: 1632 Springfield, MA who married Thomas Merrick B: 1620. All the information I have found, suggests that Elizabeth Tilley may be the grandaughter of John Tilley (Mayflower) and Edith Camp. I have done DNA testing through Ancestry and have also uploaded to GEDmatch, would love for someone with a proven match to John Tilley to compare my DNA to see if my line goes there are well.

• Judy Walker Mayo
    April 22, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Melanie Mayo, my husband is a Mayo. We live in Dallas, Tx. Do you have your genealogy so we might see if there is a relationship?

• linda g northrup sturgill
    April 22, 2016 at 3:56 pm

mary aurora Thompson was my ggreat grandmother and her daughter ada simpson Sherwood was already approved now I have the burden of finding documents to lead just back to her . they are in the francis cooke book . mary cooke and john Thompson line

• Deb
    April 22, 2016 at 9:34 am

I am related to two of them – Thomas Rogers and Stephen Hopkin

• Tina Quay
    April 21, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I am related to an few of them as I have discovered while doing research and always double checking and such.. It would seem I am related to ::

John Alden Sr Priscilla MullinsPriscilla Mullins Alden (1602 – 1685)
    1598–1687

1593–1680
    BIRTH 9 FEBRUARY 1593 • Eckington, Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England
    DEATH 22 JANUARY 1680 • Duxbury, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, USA
    11th great-grandfather

• Christine Iddenden
      February 19, 2017 at 5:43 am

Hi there can I ask if you have found any relation to George Soule to Thomas Soule and Mary Soule nee Iddenden? Mary was a relative of mine. Many thanks

• Kay
    April 21, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Edward Doty is an ancestor of mine

• Sharon Reid
      September 30, 2016 at 3:58 am

Edward is my great grandfather ancestor to America. Then it goes down through his son Isaac eventually to a Mary Doty who married into the Seaman family and they come to Canada around Pugwash, Nova Scotia. Katherine Margaret Seaman, dtr of a Stephen, married Trenholm. Then down through to my grandmother Celestia Trenholm marrying Frank Read.

• Bill
    April 21, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Don’t need to take a course (even at 15% off) to know that William Bradford is my great great great great great great great great great great grandfather.

• Kathy Jo Bryant
    March 4, 2016 at 7:12 pm

I would love to find a possible connection to any of the Mayflower passengers. My mother told me and my siblings that she was told growing up, that she descended from an ancestor on the Mayflower. She said she could dance with a cup of water on her head without upsetting it, and could lift one end of a bale of cotton. My mother was the 5th of seven siblings. None of the cousins from my mom’s siblings have heard this story in their families. Later on, my cousin found the story about my 3rd great grandmother, Elizabeth Andrews Hayes Parker. A historian published a newspaper article back in 1899, about her. It was said could dance with a cup of water on her head without upsetting it. But I have never been able to prove her connection to the Mayflower. It is said her father was Warren Andrews, but I cannot prove it. She was born in 1751, in Fairfax, VA, along the Roanoke River. She and her brother and sister were orphaned, and she was raised by a wealthy Quaker family, and given a good education. She lived to be 110 tears old.

• diana
    February 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

My mom always told me that her maternal lineage went back to the Mayflower (Eaton/Heaton) . Decades ago went to Duxbury , Mass archives/library where some Mayflower records are kept and sure enough there was a footnote stating that sometimes Eaton was spelled with the “H”. So please consider various spelling. Anyway Samuel may have been some relative but with ancestry help and input from distant cousins I discovered my lineage was connected to another famous ship — the LAMB and not the Mayflower. I had the wonderful experience of journeying to Settle, England in October 2015 to see the Quaker Meeting House of which my relative Robert Heaton was a member and on first Quaker ship arrival. Family verbally carryied this information for 300 plus years of America’s history as family members spread out over the United States through the western frontiers of KY, OH, LA, MS, TX, CA etc. but some where the ships got confused but the American historical significance — early settlers, adventurers, freedom— remained.

• Suzanne Markey
      January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Hi- just scrolling thru & saw your post, my husband is a descendant of Francis Eaton. His paternal grandmother Inez Hurd is the connection, family still is in the lumber business.

• Vickie
    February 15, 2016 at 6:55 am

Eight Mayflower pilgrims ,never dismiss female lines. Found all eight through one female ancestor grandmother.

• Vickie Stevens
      February 15, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I want to prove my grandmother, Maude White’s line for her.She was adopted in 1900 by John and Ella Braatz. I dont have a lot of energy or time left. I have Fibrosis of the lungs for which there is no cure. most of what they want I have it’s just a matter of getting it together.

• February 18, 2016 at 6:27 am

Hey Vickie. I have Whites on my maternal grandfather’s side . . . we may be related. Not sure when I will have the time, but I’d love to see if we’re connected! How awesome would that be? I have very limited information about my family, as I am just now getting started. Do you mind sharing what you know about the Whites you’re connected to? Thank you so much!

• J. Wright
    February 14, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I am a direct descendant of at least two families. Would love to be in the Mayflower Society but can’t afford the cost. Such a shame, keeping people out because of this.

• Ann A
    February 13, 2016 at 11:03 am

Relative Finder can be freely used with the FamilySearch Family Tree to determine relationships. It may find a Mayflower ancestor (or a relationship to any number of other well known people – movie stars, US Presidents, British Royalty, Authors) IF a tree is already well enough established there. The accuracy of the links between each generation needs to be verified and a FamilySearch account is needed. See https://familysearch.org/apps/product/relative-finder/web

• toni
    February 13, 2016 at 7:27 am

I’m related, too, through 7 different lines but didn’t feel the need to prove it. I can’t even get my direct relatives to care about genealogy so no point in spending money to prove anything.

• Jim
    February 13, 2016 at 6:56 am

I am descended from 7 on the Mayflower passengers, Constance Hopkins, Stephen Hopkins, Elizabeth Tilley, John Howland, John Tilley, Joan (Hurst) Tilley and William Brewster. All on my mother’s side of the family. My aunt is a member of the Mayflower society. Brewster Line. I did all the research for my aunt and you have to have every birth, marriage and death record going back many generation. Not that easy when you get back into the 17 and 1800’s. Luckily I only had to prove back about 5 generation to tap into a proven line. When my aunt became a member they had a really cool dinner for all new members and their families. It sure changes how I view Thanksgiving.

• Judy Bohn
    February 13, 2016 at 6:42 am

I am related to the Brewster’s & Bradford’s on my mom’s mom’s side. I am related through the LeBaron’s!

• Liz
    February 13, 2016 at 12:24 am

Ashley Judd is one – as shown on her episode of “Who Do You Think You Are”. She is descended from William Brewster