Free Genealogy Sites for Researching Ancestors in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland

Researching ancestors from England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland? Here’s a list of free genealogy sites for the UK and Ireland where you can find everything from census returns and military service records to birth, marriage and death indexes.

We have included only sites that offer mostly or completely free records in our list, but there are also a variety of paid sites you may find helpful as well–such as FindMyPast, Scotland’s People and The Genealogist. If we missed your favorite site please let us know in the comments.

Once you’ve checked these sites out, try Family History Daily’s new search tool. The free tool searches hundreds of genealogy sites at one time, including many from the UK and Ireland or our list of 50 Free Genealogy Sites to Search Today.

Free UK and Irish Genealogy Sites for Finding Your Ancestors

Free UK Genealogy

This effort includes three separate UK-focused projects powered by volunteers who transcribe important genealogical records and place them online in searchable databases. Search these three UK genealogy projects via the links below.

FreeBMD: Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales

FreeCen: 19th century census records for the UK

FreeReg: baptism, marriage, and burial records from parish and non-conformist registers of the UK

GENUKI

“GENUKI provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland. It is a non-commercial service, maintained by a charitable trust and a group of volunteers.” You’ll find access to a great selection of resources and records on this easy to navigate site.

UK National Archives

The National Archives of the United Kingdom has a wide variety of free research databases online, including military records and asylum records. They have done a beautiful job of providing access to just about every type of family history information you might be looking for–whether it be in the form of a searchable database or an easy to read guide.

Make Instant Discoveries in Your Family Tree Now
Imagine adding your family tree to a simple website and getting hundreds of new family history discoveries instantly.

MyHeritage is offering 2 free weeks of access to their extensive collection of 7.7 billion historical records, as well as their matching technology that instantly connects you with new information about your ancestors. Sign up using the link below to find out what you can uncover about your family.

National Archives of Ireland

The National Archives of Ireland have done a really good job of making their online databases simple to find and use. They offer census records, soldier’s wills and more in their genealogy section. This is the place to start if you are looking for an Irish member of your family tree.

UK BMD

This site has thousands of links to genealogy research sites for the UK. They list both paid and free resources, but it seems that most we have used have been free. Many of the sites are geographically focused, or center on one surname–but others are much more extensive. You’ll have to dig around on UK BMD to find what you need.

Don’t forget that many of the sites we have included in our free ancestry search article (such as FamilySearch), as well as our best genealogy research sites infographic, are also very helpful when researching your ancestors from the UK and Ireland.

Image Credit: James Morley

Get Family History Daily's Articles by Email Each Week
Search 7.7 Billion Records Now
What might you discover with access to billions of new genealogy records?

MyHeritage is offering 2 full weeks of free access so you can search for your ancestors - including instant record matches when you upload your family tree.
  • August 17, 2017 at 4:43 pm

im looking for casey thats my maden name<, i would apprecate any information.

• Sharon Turnbull
    August 14, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I am researching my TURNBULL family tree. Robert William Turnbull born in Scotland 1767, Married in England to Elizabeth,
    came to USA around 1800. Children Elizabeth , James, Robert born in Scotland, Robert may have been born at Sea 1799
    Lived in Philadelphia,Pennsylvania. Robert William died in 1807, Elizabeth died later. Robert jr. married Siscelia Wolfcale, .
    When Siscelia died in 1834 Robert married Ann Margaret Ormsby. Our 2nd great grandfather James was Robert jr. son with Siscelia
    I have hit a brick wall because I do not know where in Scotland Robert William came from. Is there anyone out there can tell me where I can find this info??? Thanks

• penny craig
    December 4, 2016 at 11:34 am

hello I am trying to trace a great great grandfather who originated out of aberdeenshire Scotland he arrived in Samoa with a son. we have no further information of his birth etc from Scotland nor his parents his name was Alexander George Craig his son was John craig

• Philip Sim
    November 7, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Hi I am seeking any information to trace the family of my grandfather. John Nimmo. He arrived in Picton New Zealand in 1910, married Picton NZ 1912 and said age 35, born Glasgow parents John William Nimmo music publisher and mother Jane. Married again 1927 age 49 and listed same parents on certificate. My own research so far is a T/J Nimmo on Rimutaka departing 20.1.1910 London ticket no. 529 arrived Wellington 8 March 1910. Marrage searches show John Nimmo married Jane/t Morrison in 1855. John Nimmo to Janet Gardner in 1976. John William Nimmo to Jane Miller in 1898. Birth of John Nimmo in 1877 parents John Nimmo and Janet Newbiggins. Birth of John Nimmo parents John Nimmo and Janet Biggins. The only other J Nimmo I can find on any passenger lists is J Nimmo leaving UK 21 Jan 1910 on Otranto to Sydney. My mother is 93 and has always wanted to know more about her father. Any help would be most welcome. With his fathers occupation would have not been many with that work. Thank you Philip.

• catherine mac lysaght
    November 6, 2016 at 7:38 am

looking for any who have any information on james lysaght and mary shinnors my great grand parents thank you

• Dan Dilworth
    March 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Looking for Dilworth Family born in Ireland before 1860. In Cork with particular emphasis on Michael Dilworth.

• Bernard Hull
    November 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I am looking for information about Samuel Taylor born 04 Oct 1785, in Ireland. He emigrated to the United States.
    He married Elizabeth Marshall 23 January 1812, Madison, Kentucky, United States.
    It has been reported that his father was Thomas Taylor 1764-1797.
    Any information about him would be very much appreciated. My family has been trying to find information about him since 1930’s.

• Jennifer Louise Marriott
    November 6, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Great for me to follow up on family in Ireland and England,Scotland

• Jennifer Louise Marriott
    November 6, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Great for me to follow up on family in Ireland and England,Scotland

• Jennifer Louise Marriott
    November 6, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Great find thankyou will be able to look for more info thanks x

• Sam linton
    November 6, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Looking for any info on the linton from govan and limavady

• Carol Anne Rousell
    October 14, 2015 at 10:50 am

Looking for my fathers family his name Tom Andrews born around 1908 passed away October 1950 married to Beatrice Mary shearing. She passed away in March 1969 Born in Dorset.

• Mary L. Fields
    September 10, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Eltisley, Cambridgeshire, England, looking for parents of Lewis William Fields B: 1750 D: b4 1820 M: Mary Childerley both from Eltisley, married in St. Pandionia Church. Have hit a brick wall.

• Philip Sim
    July 13, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Hi

I am tracking any information about my grandfather John Nimmo born about 1877 Glasgow that will help me trace his family back ground.

This is what I have searched so far

1911 John Nimmo 1911 NZ Electoral Roll Wairau Marlborough NZ. He was living at Waikawa Road Picton, occupation pig farmer.
    1912 married on 1 April to Heni Keepa (died 9.1.1925). He listed his parents as John William Nimmo (music publisher) and Jane, age 35 born Glasgow
    1923 My mother was born on 14 October
    1927 married Oriana Te Ratuku (my mothers mother) on 23.2.27. Again listed John William Nimmo and Jane as parents, age 49 born Glasgow
    1933 Oriana died 16.9.33
    1952 John Nimmo died 3.1. 1952 Picton NZ. My mother gave birth to her first child (my sister) in same month.

Philip

• Auri Ruela-Wolfe
    June 20, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I have been researching my husband’s Irish family. I know that his grandfather fought along side General Sherman. His name was Frank Wolfe (Woulfe). Parents were Wolfton Wolfe and Ann (?) and born in County Clare per marriage record. My husband’s grandmother also came to the states around that time. Her name is listed as Sarah Hughes, Parents were Robert Hughes and Sarah Clark. Church records a marriage of Francis Wolfe and Sarah Kehew or Trehew same date as found in other records. Census takers were notorious at changing people’s names. Any info would help. Thank you

• Annlee Drury
    March 29, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Hello from Oz,

My search has taken me to Blackheath, Co Kent , England in regards to my great grandfathers birth approx 1862. Francis Eugene De Veigne, his parents were Hugh De Veigne and Cecilia Bevington, any information regarding the name Deveigne would be appreciated as many indexes don’t recognise the name. In Australia the surname is all one word Deveigne. Great if you can shed some light on the surname as rumour has the name to be made up through the family line,

Thanking you for your time, and hope to hear from you,
    Regards Annlee

• Tawrens
      November 8, 2015 at 10:19 am

Don’t know if it helps but the name sounds French but then I have ancestors named DeMartin which sounds French but the census say their from West Prussia. Un fortunately Beyond those the immigrated here I know their parents name due to records here but nothing else.

• James Brown
    March 28, 2015 at 2:58 am

Hi….Ancestry website shows a John Masterton death in June 1916 in Halifax, Yorkshire. Gives birth as approx. 1839 (age 77 ?) which fits in with yours so may be worth you checking that one. Is it possible that the deceased entry on the daughters marriage certificate was just an error or did the daughter lose touch with him if he moved to another part of the country and thought he was deceased ?

• James Brown
      March 28, 2015 at 5:44 am

Please disregard the above as is in wrong place. Was a reply to Joanne Bechard query and has been copied as a reply next to her query.

• Sherry Vickers
    February 25, 2015 at 5:44 am

Looking for relatives in Scotland. My great grandfather was born there. My grandfathers name
    was Clarence MacGregor, born around 1911 or so. Not sure if he was born in Scotland or not, or
    whether he was born in Canada. His wife’s name was Luella Whitney. Any info would be great.
    Not sure if he had brothers or sisters.

• February 21, 2015 at 8:36 am

Hunting for Scindlers that come over from Germany on one of the ships. His name is “Charles Marian or Marion Schindler”. My Momma’s Dad. Please help me.born July, 1898. Think his Dad and Mom came from England. His Dad named “Richard”?… Can you please see if Im on the right track?.

• Bob Hunter
    February 18, 2015 at 11:32 am

There are many other sites as well, many with a very local interest at town, village and county level. These are run by individuals and by local Family History Societies. Many are listed in GENUKI (which should be your first stop) and there are others that are not. After checking GENUKI use Google to find them!
    Local Government websites are also useful for BMD and Cemetery data.
    Many churches have their own websites, some with transcribed Baptism, marriage and burial information.
    And the list goes on …

• Joanne Bechard
    February 17, 2015 at 11:55 am

Looking for my GGrandfather John Spence Masterton born Scotland November 13/1838 – He was a Merchant seaman / Mothers name Mary Spence / he married Anne Tyrer Liverpool England she died in 1871 in childbirth – the only record of John Spence Masterton after that was on one of his daugters marriage certificates states him as being deceased before 1895 – I don’t know where to continue this search / I live in Ontario Canada

• James Brown