50 Free Genealogy Sites to Search Today

50 Free Genealogy Sites to Search Today

popular sections

Genealogy Resources

Help and How-To

Free Genealogy Search

50 Free Genealogy Sites

Looking for a list of free genealogy sites to search? Here are 50 no-cost family history resources where you will find birth, marriage and death records, obituaries, cemetery listings, newspaper articles, biographies, research tips and so much more.

We had a lot of fun compiling this list of excellent websites. Remember, most free genealogy sites have been made available by the hard work and dedication of many volunteers! Don’t forget to thank them and give back when you can. Enjoy the search!

50 Free Genealogy Sites

1. FamilySearch: largest collection of free genealogical records in the world

2. WikiTree: enormous collaborative family tree

3. Fulton History: historical newspapers from the US and Canada

4. Find a Grave: locate your ancestors in cemeteries across the globe

5. Google News Archive: millions of archived newspaper pages

6. US National Archives: official US National Archives site, many free genealogy databases and resources

7. Automated Genealogy: indexes of the Canadian census

8. FreeBMD: civil registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales

9. USGenWeb Project: massive free genealogy resource directory by US state and county

10. WorldGenWeb Project: genealogy resources by country and region, not to miss

11. Cyndi’s List: highly respected directory of free genealogy resources and databases online

12. Library and Archives Canada: official archives of Canada, census records and more

13. Ellis Island: immigration records, free indexes and original records, fee to download copies

14. FreeReg: baptism, marriage, and burial records from parish registers of the UK

15. Crestleaf: various genealogy records

16. RootsWeb: world’s largest genealogy community, huge amount of free information

17. Castle Garden: immigration records, pre Ellis Island

18. Chronicling America: giant database of archived US newspapers from the Library of Congress

19. Dead Fred: genealogy photo archive

20. African Heritage Project: records on former slaves, freedpersons and their descendants

21. Family Tree Now: various genealogy records

22. Daughters of the American Revolution: military service records and more

23. JewishGen: Jewish ancestry research

24. FreeCEN: transcribed census records from the UK

25. Access Genealogy: vast family history directories and more, good Native American resources

Take Our New Online Genealogy Course
Did you know that Family History Daily offers a popular and affordable, self-paced genealogy course that can help you with your research?

In the course you will learn to:
  • access high-quality free genealogy sites
  • break down frustrating brick walls
  • use google in new ways for genealogy research
  • track down elusive ancestors
  • find and use a variety of online genealogy tools
  • research family mysteries
  • trace your overseas ancestors
  • and much more
Learn easily online with our one-of-a-kind lessons, step-by-step guides, helpful hands-on activities, fun challenges and engaging discussions.

Send Me a Registration Reminder Instead

26. British Library, India Office: records on British and European people in India pre 1950

27. Guild of One-Name Studies: extensive surname research site

28. Geneabloggers: massive directory of genealogy related blogs with a huge amount of free information

29. NativeWeb Genealogy: list of Native American genealogy resources and searchable databases

30. Viximus: member submitted biographical information

31. WieWasWie: for researching ancestors from the Netherlands (in Dutch)

32. UK National Archives: official National Archives of the UK

33. The National Archives of Ireland: official National Archives of Ireland

34. GENUKI: reference library of genealogical resources for the UK and Ireland

35. German Genealogy Server: German ancestry research (many sections in German)

36. Preserve the Pensions: War of 1812 pension records access

37. Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System: Civil War records from the National Park Service

38. LitvakSIG: Lithuanian-Jewish genealogy databases and resources

39. Italian Genealogical Group: Italian American genealogy resources and databases

40. Internet Archive: a large amount of information useful to genealogists, but you’ll need to do some digging

41. Billion Graves: headstone records

42. Open Library: good place to find family history books, search for surnames or locations

43. GenDisasters: for researching disasters and other events your ancestors might have been involved in

44. RomanyGenes: Romanichal ancestry research

45. Patriot and Grave Index: revolutionary war graves registry and patriot index from the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution

46. Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection: vast number of archived US newspapers

47. Seventh-day Adventist Obituary Database: hundreds of thousands of obituary entries

48. Släktdata: genealogy records for Sweden (in Swedish)

49. Hispanic Genealogy: wonderful list of resources for researching Hispanic ancestry

50: Free Genealogy Search Engine: search hundreds of free genealogy resources at one time on Family History Daily

There are many more free genealogy sites online. Since we can’t possibly list them all in one article, please share your favorite in the comments if you don’t see it here.

Keep your eye on Family History Daily for more articles about free genealogy resources, including our upcoming state by state guides. You might also like to read about how to access paid genealogy sites through your library’s website for free or check out our other articles here.

Featured Image: The Halley family. Priest River Valley, Bonner County, Idaho. 1939. Library of Congress

New from Family History Daily: Intermediate Genealogy Lessons

Learn advanced research techniques, discover free databases and much more.

• Joan Hollander
    October 18, 2016 at 12:00 pm

The wiewaswie website (for Dutch ancestors) has also an English search page. The transcripted information is in English, but the (if available) images are in Dutch.

• Joan
    October 1, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Careful, all these sites are not free, you may be offered a free trial, you will be charged after the trial period.

• Joan
    October 1, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Some of these sites are NOT FREE, they are connected with the LDS church. You can search for the info free, if you want to see it there is a fee.

• Rick Reinckens
      October 2, 2016 at 7:56 pm

The LDS church does NOT charge fees.

The LDS church has BY FAR the largest genealogy collection in the world–MUCH larger than Ancestry. However, LDS does genealogy for RELIGIOUS reasons, NOT as any type of favor for the general public or even for Mormons.

The LDS digitization project generates about FIFTEEN TERABYTES of new images PER DAY. They don’t just “automatically scan and move on”, they also check individual image quality, etc.

What LDS did a few years ago is they said, “If images of specific documents are available from other sites, even commercial sites, why should we provide it for free? We need to use applicable financial resources for the things that are NOT available elsewhere.” So they partnered with Ancestry and a few other genealogy-related sites.

One thing that did is it made available FREE on FamilySearch a lot of the INDEXED data that ANCESTRY paid for. The FEE is because you will NOT be seeing images from FS, you will be seeing images ON the commercial site.

Also, I can tell you that Ancestry does a LOT of cleanup of documents. Certain document sets such as the 1940 U.S. census ARE available free elsewhere. When you look at THOSE images and compare them to the ones on Ancestry, It is very obvious that Ancestry has often done substantial enhancement.

August 13, 2016 at 3:48 am

I am looking for my ancestors of KELLER (other forms: KIELER / KELER / KIELLER / KOHLER ) Family from JUKÓW (or JUKOW) in Poland.

• Brandon Haynes
      October 13, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Could you please give me the names of the ancestors or a link to your family tree to look for the ancestors?

• Rick Reinckens
    August 11, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Although they are not genealogy sites per se, MANY U.S. counties now have their real estate records available on-line for free and often you can even see and download copies of the documents.

Just google {name of the county} County Clerk {State}, e.g., Harris County Clerk, Texas. That will take you to the County Clerk’s website, then look for Property Records or Real Property Records or Real Estate Records.

(Be careful in big states. If you google Houston County Clerk, Texas, that’s a different county–you won’t get records for Houston, Texas, the county seat of HARRIS County.) Use Wikipedia or the U.S. Post Office ZIP lookup to find out the county. (Search for P.O. Box 1 in that city and state, then click on Mailing Industry Details.)

Often you can tell relationships of multiple signers, such as husband and wife or a man and a woman with the same surname deeding the property to someone else with the same surname–most likely a son or daughter.

• debi shake
    July 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I dont consider FREE TRIAL as a Free SITE-that is misleading

• Rock Thomas
      August 1, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Yes I agree,you take time to enter all your info then they pull the free trial bullshit on you.Very false misleading scam.

• Ken Smith
      September 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm

If your local library has a library membership to ancestry, you can go to the library and use ancestry free.

• Pat Dellinger Strouse.
    June 30, 2016 at 5:55 am

Looking for native american on my grandfather side it was his great grandmother my grandfather name is Charles Henry Dellinger born 1906 died 1984 his mother name was Sadie Lease Dellinger Horn married to Milton Henry Dellinger I would like to know my great great great grandmother name and what Indian tribe my dad thought is was susquenna

• suefulk dietz
    June 26, 2016 at 11:30 am

great list including sites mentioned in posts
    my thanx

• Sheah Hansepn
    June 23, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Looking for information on my father’s US Navy records and how I could get him the copies of them. He served on the Forsnell in 1959 and he’s from Maine.

• June 22, 2016 at 4:20 pm

This is a great list! I’m always correcting people when they say researching genealogy is too expensive – and when I do show them just a few of the free sites out there, they’re amazed!

• kimliverpool@outlook.com
    June 13, 2016 at 4:57 am

Searching for irish ancestors the parents and familys of, William Coleman,1843,country cork.
    Catherine Daley,1839,Enfield.Ireland.
    They moved to Liverpool,England and married.
    Also any help with Joseph Burns,who left fot the U.S.A. in 1925 (William and Catherine’s grandson)
    My family would be so,so grateful.
    Thank you.

• Margaret
    June 12, 2016 at 4:55 am

Where do I do a search for a nephew who may be looking for me? He was taken from his parents when very young. I do not know if he was adopted for sure or just placed in a foster home.

• Michele
    May 16, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Hi I am hoping someone in the USA can help me out please with some lookups there
    I am trying to find any information on Renata Dobrez that came from Australia after 1973? to the USA
    I am trying to find out if she is still alive and if she ever got married
    looking for information about her for family research
    Renata was born 28 Dec 1946 Fiume
    thank you for your time and any help you can give me with my search kind regards Michele Australia

• Cindy Middleton
    May 15, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I am working on my family tree, and need to find out how to access the dawes rolls for my native American Indian ancesters names. I also would like to find out how to contact someone in Switzerland about ancesters.

• Elaine Palmer
    March 20, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Could you please send me information about genealogy sites in Eastern Europe and Russia.

• Elaine Palmer
    March 20, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Could you send me some links for Eastern Europe and Russia?

• March 15, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Here is a Tip for free Genealogy In the Search Engine TYPE FULL TEXT: THEN THE SURNAME;
    EXAMPLE; FULL TEXTED: PILLSBURY The genealogy book of the Pillsbury family will appear. Use any surname. Sometimes a county book may appear for example FULL TEXT: IRWIN ANDERSON You will be Adams County Ohio. Its a great way for free answers.

• Lynn perry
    March 12, 2016 at 7:47 am

Thank you for the list I might be able to get through some brick walls thanks again

• March 3, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I want to include my name in all the gerontology of the world in free charge. Is it possible please can you assistance me. Thanks

• NuttyTreeGalNY
    February 29, 2016 at 11:23 pm

FreeReg has a new site: http://www.freereg.org.uk/

• Bobbie
    February 17, 2016 at 11:43 am

I shall be awake all night now having seen these free sites. Is there any good sites for criminals and convicts . Esp uk as shipped to Australia. It’s the court records I’m after thank you for reading I take my hat off to you all for doing a fabulous job

• Eva Saul
    January 31, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This trial period is not free if you have to give payment details. I filled in a search on ancestry and it showed 5 results. When I signed up for the free trial nothing came up. All these sites are misleading just to get you to sign up.

• P.K.
      April 8, 2016 at 7:26 am

Don’t sign up on Ancestry.com for the free trial ~ sign up for a GUEST TREE ~ there is no charge ever for this

• January 29, 2016 at 6:12 am

Genealogy Trails is an active FREE website with no ads. Was sorry to see that it didn’t make the list.

• EJ Kornfeld
    January 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Several of the sites allow you to search for a surname. But, to get information about the surname, you have to pay and join the site.

• Margaret Graham
    December 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm

This is a free site, I that I use quite often.

• December 14, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Great post.Organizations that direct their examination in house should have the capacity to give the instruments important to deals staff to make quality warm leads for their offering endeavors

• bronwyn
    December 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Can anyone give me sites for german research that is in English. I am having trouble finding anything. Thanks in advance

November 25, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Two of the Best Free Newspaper sites, Australia and New Zealand -you never know where your family might go,
    Australia = trove.nla.gov.au AND the OCR is correctable by all registered users (millions of lines already done) and New Zealand = paperspast.natlib.gov. nz

• Bev
      January 6, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Trove is a fantastic resource but you don’t need to be a registered user to correct the text. I urge all users to make corrections as you find stuff but remember to correct exactly as it is in the original, commas, errors and all.

• José
    November 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Another free to search site … records can be viewed:-
    National Archives of Australia – http://www.naa.gov.au/

• Donna Cirrintano
    November 11, 2015 at 11:22 am

Sorry but as far as I am concerned site is not
    free if you have to sign up for a free trial.

• Sharon Marangoni
      November 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I agree with you Donna, especially if it is like I do, I forget to CANCEL the free trial and get charged at some point.

• EJ Kornfeld
      January 5, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I’m with you on this one, Donna.
      Some of them won’t give you any information at all , unless you pay/subscribe.

• salty antoni
    November 10, 2015 at 6:14 pm

For help with NZ burial locations

Judith (Judy) Whyte
    Community Services Administration Officer
    Central Otago District Council
    1 Dunorling Street
    PO Box 122
    DDI: 03 440 0618
    Fax: 03 440 0606
    Email: judith.whyte@codc.govt.nz

• Cheryl Ross
    November 5, 2015 at 10:51 am

A great site for WV birth, death, and marriage records is wvculture.org

• Debra
    October 5, 2015 at 1:13 am

The “African Heritage Project” does not work because the server unexpectedly dropped it. Could you please fixed this.

Thank you so much because the other titles work.

• Marsie Carew-gue
    October 3, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Trying to find my Baptismal certificate from 1966-67. In New Jersey

• Helene Heuyardim
    September 17, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I’m looking for the father of Joseph Martel born in April 1825 .Baie-du-febvre yamaska QC Canada. Joseph wife was hermine Alliar.

• Vida Fagan
    September 11, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Thank you for all the hard work you do and for making this list. I use many of these wonderful free websites, and will add a few more I use.

I would also like to say that the Ancestry message boards are free to use, and have volunteers that can help you. http://boards.ancestry.com/

Also, when you are posting for help, please post birth dates, death dates, burial locations, and locations your family lived in. If it is a female, please post the maiden name, and married name. The more info you can give, the better help you will receive.

• Debra
      October 5, 2015 at 1:24 am

Thank you so much for the African Amercian site. The “African Heritage Project”, which is number 20 does not work and with your help hopefully I will find what am looking for.

Thanks Again

• Shirley
    September 9, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Anyone know of Bohemia website – don’t know where in Bohemia/Austria and a Polish website to find records?

• Joyce
      April 4, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Czech Genealogy Society International is a free site: http://www.cgsi.org/
      It has free on-line records for Czech, Bohemia and Slovenia records. You must know the district and village name to find the church for your village to find the records. The Eastern District did not do their own microfilming but had the LDS film their records. Districts vary as to the amount of records now online.

• September 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Here is a link to include with the Seventh-Day Adventist obit index site. After they find which paper the obit is in this site has most of them for viewing online. (Also Free)

Thank you for this great list!!! I have bookmarked many of them.

• Linda Siders
    August 31, 2015 at 8:51 am

Thank you all so much for this information. I wanted you all to know that I truly appreciate all of the hard work you have done. You are all amazing!

• Joanne Schaub Cawley
    August 23, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I would love to find some records from Ujak, Austria-Hungary. My Grandma was Julia Zavatsky, born in 1894.

• George Brian Sullivan
    August 20, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I whole like to have “50 Free Geneology Sites…” sent to my email address. I find it most valuable. Please send it to me.

• Claire
    August 7, 2015 at 8:12 am

Thanks to all who put this together…..Trying to find the Pomerantz family from Galica, Austria

• Darlene Cannon
    August 4, 2015 at 10:03 am

The Hiski project -For Finland or Aland Island geneology …http://hiski.genealogia.fi/historia/indexe.htm

• Branchclimber
    July 23, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Who are the volunteers?
    I thought readers submitted information.

• Ernestine Northcutt
    July 9, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I am trying to find some of my father’s mothers people. My fathers’ name is Grandville Adkins, his mother is Rose Pennington. I may have Pennington spelled wrong. My dad passed away several years ago, and we haven’t had very little contact with his people. We have had no contact with his mother’s people as she died when he was a small boy. His father was Churchill Adkins. My father had two brothers Opel and Able – who were twins, one died at birth and the other died in Cincinnati Ohio. Before my grandfather passed away he had run into some of my fathers people in Arizonia. They wrote some to my mom and dad and even sent a picture. But after my mom passed all these got lost. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. My dad i believe lived in Lafonte, Tn, Scout County or in around that area, he may have lived or his parents may have lived in West Virginia.

• Melinda
    July 2, 2015 at 9:54 am

A great free site is stokescorod.org. You can view deeds in Stokes County, NC, going back to the 1700’s. Another good digital newspaper site for NC is digitalnc.org/collections/newspapers/. Another good digital newspaper site for OK is http://gateway.okhistory.org/search/.

• M Guy
    June 29, 2015 at 3:03 pm

state of Georgia; looking for any information on John Pickney Bryant, DOB 1807. wife: Amanda Champion (maybe Cherokee Indian). I feel he had a second family as he was 30-40 older than Amanda. We know nothing of her family either. They were my great grandparents.

• Sierra
      August 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I found this one record on familysearch. It probably isn’t much help. But a bit of information can go a long way. I’d suggest going on ancestry and starting a tree, you might get a few leaves if you use the information on the link. Even though you can’t look at the documents on ancestry without paying, it’ll give you a bit of information and you can just find it for free on a different site (I’d suggest family search, but you might have to go elsewhere for some things).

• Patrick
      February 13, 2016 at 1:50 am

Found some information in 1880 Census for John Bryant, 34 years difference from Amanda Chapman, had seven children. Join Ancestry.com. By now, you may have found this information.

• June 24, 2015 at 3:53 am

For Limerick City, Ireland check out this list of free genealogy resources http://limerickslife.com/limerick-family-history/

• Jerrine Grim
    June 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm

..looking for Walter Gatherer and Betsy Baird

• Sten norell
    June 19, 2015 at 7:13 am

http://www.ddss.se – is a free database for South of Sweden.

• Elizabeth
    June 18, 2015 at 5:42 pm

If you are researching in Somerset, England, the West Somerset Parish Records is the place to go. Records up to 1860 for most parishes. I have had fantastic ‘finds’ in this website.

• Barbara Elg
    June 17, 2015 at 5:44 am

This is terrific, I have just written down all the available sites and will check many of these sites. There must have been thousands of hours of work went into this. Thank you for all of the hard work you have done, it helps so many find relatives and connects them to the country of their origin.

• June 16, 2015 at 2:15 pm

For those with danish ancestors. Find churchbooks, censuses, school class protocols and much more.

• May 3, 2015 at 4:42 pm

This is a good site for Michigan records.

• May 3, 2015 at 4:41 pm

One of my favorites #42 Open Library has been a huge help to me. I use this in conjunction with Google Books. Two Great sources

• April 23, 2015 at 7:48 am

I have some information on MIller’s from Wikitree.com back to 1758 for my family & wanting more information on them. Will check these web sites out. Thank you for all the sites to check out. I am also working on a friends family ( Godfrey’s) from Ne & can’t find any thing more information than 1888.
    Sandy Price

• Margaret Mulligan
    April 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Great work – thank you all so much

• April 2, 2015 at 6:34 am

A new free magazine with lots of informational articles and connections to some new resources for genealogical research and information. Very well put together and enjoyable to read.

• Yolanda Moreno
    March 29, 2015 at 10:09 am

Very hard very difficult. Pedro Miguel Herrada my 5th great grandfather. Can’t locate. Married to Micaela Salas, then to Andrea Vargas. Trying to locate his parents. Please help,

• March 29, 2015 at 4:18 pm

If you haven’t tried familysearch.org, try it . You never listed any dates for those people you are trying to find.There are records for the marriage of the children of Pedro and Micaela Salas. You might find immigration records for Pedro as well.

• March 28, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Sorry the site doesn’t show in previous comment

• March 28, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Good site for Kentucky ancestors. Counties are listed

• Lyn Peucker
    March 26, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Searching for Irish ancestors, Annie O’Loughlin B:1861 & parents Patrick O’Loughlin & Bridget Annie O’Loughlin (nee Woods). They died within short time each other. One Daughter Mary E O’Loughlin B:1953 went to Rochester, New York & married James Farley. Next Daughter Beatrice B : abt 1865and son James both to Adelaide. Need information esp DOD n place of Patrick & Bridget. After parents death kids cared for by Grandma McCann.

• MaryBeth
    March 22, 2015 at 8:00 am

Thank you to all volunteers.. You are a blessing.. If anyone can help me with my Italian records would be much appreciated.. I’d like to find them in English if their out there..

• March 21, 2015 at 8:08 am

Free site for those researching ancestors in the Troy and Albany area of New York State. Although the organizations name is Troy Irish Genealogy Society we do not limit ourselves to Irish records. We locate and transcribe any and all records for this area of NYS.

• Triena Duffy
    March 19, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Hi, im looking for my mothers birth and that of her 3 sisters 1 brother, we automaticly looked in ireland where they were from , but, just found out that they were all born in glasgow scotland, but cant find them they were all born in the 1920’s surname Loughran any free stes where i might find them ?? thanx

• Chris
    March 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Many thanks to each for all the work and time you have spend on the “50” genealogy sites provided.

• March 8, 2015 at 5:22 am

I help input data to a couple of these sites. Thank you telling people about what we do. Now i know my hard work (unpaid) will be going to good use for even more people.

• Jean Thompson
    March 6, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Hi looking for Thompson family information. I want to research my Family who were originally from London, and Scotland Montague and Flora Thompson. Harold Montague Thompson, and my father Gilbert Nelson Thompson. Please tell me where to start. Thank you.

• Betty Persinko Jelich
    March 5, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Looking for sites with info for Yugoslav and other Slavic countries

• Judy goebig
    March 3, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hopefully I will be able to find my miller’s family in Germany.
    Thanks for all the sites.

• LG
      March 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm

If your ancestors were from Germany, you may wish to search for the surname Muller (with or without umlaut) or Muhler.
      Miller is an Anglicized version of the above.

• RJ
      March 27, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I have Miller in my family. I don’t have them traced back very far.

• D. Smith
      April 3, 2015 at 11:44 pm

My maiden name was MIller, and I have found a lot of ancestors in Germany. Don’t know if we may be related, but we could exchange info to see if w come from the same family line if you would like.

• Joan Labrosse
        June 29, 2015 at 8:47 am

I am also a Miller. My ancestors were part of the German migration to the Russian province of Bessarabia where their name was spelled Mueller. I was able to find them on church records from Tarantino, Bessarabia. Maybe that will help you.

• Alison Ogden
    March 2, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Lancashire Online Parish Clerk Project

• Neville van Rooyen
    March 2, 2015 at 10:53 am

thank you for this information it will really help me in my searching. Do you have any sites that can assist me with South African records. I am finding that most sites are extensively in for the USA. thank you once again.

• Kathy Percy
    March 1, 2015 at 6:21 am

Great information! I would add two more to this list: findagrave.com and Washington State Digital Archives – http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/ Happy Hunting everyone!

• Paula Walter
    February 28, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Thank You for all the info,it is great. Please keep it coming.

• February 28, 2015 at 11:47 am

If you have family ties to the ethnic community of Delray (Detroit) Mi. prior to it’s decline in 1960, then I think you will like my tribute to this once vibrant and thriving ethnic community. Families and life styes, the way it was, “Once upon a Time!”

• Dorothy
    February 28, 2015 at 5:23 am

Has anyone had success finding roots in Italy. My family is from Perugia and I can not find any information. My grandparents came to America and I have that information, however their families never came here. It’s so frustrating trying to find any information, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Dorothy Pierini-Rodgers

• February 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today’s Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/02/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-february-27.html

Have a great weekend!

• February 27, 2015 at 8:45 am

Genforum is another one that is helpful to add to this list.

• February 27, 2015 at 5:04 am

Baptisms, Marriages & Burials from hundreds of Churches across Lancashire some dating back to 1500’s. Also look out for other County’s which also have Parish Clerk Records online

• Janet
    February 27, 2015 at 12:14 am

You missed Genealogy in Time

• February 26, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Genealogy Trails has free data not just on the state but on each of the counties in each of the states. The hosts work to add data to their sites daily! http://genealogytrails.com

• February 26, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Sorry to see you missed Genealogy Trails – we work hard providing free data for every state and every county, updated regularly. Check us out – genealogytrails.com

• February 26, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Sorry to see Genealogy Trails missed – we work hard to provide information on every county in the US, with updates being made regularly. All free! Check us out – genealogytrails.com

• Becky P)
    February 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Georgia has a great online digital archives with marriages, newspapers and some wills/death certificates.

• February 26, 2015 at 8:55 am

Thanks for including WikiTree in this list. Hundreds of great new volunteers are finding our site through this link.

• eve poland
    February 25, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Was wondering about the picture of the family by the fence. My cousin saw it and belieesvs it to be her grandparents. We wonder if you could tell us about it and if it is could she get a copy? Thanks.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm

How interesting, Eve. The image comes from the Library of Congress and is by the well-known photographer Dorothea Lange. (who also captured the iconic “Migrant Mother” as part of her work with the Farm Security Administration during the Great Depression)

Here is the link to the original with full details, as well as the description provided by them. We’d love to hear back if it does turn out to be a relative.

“Farm family in the cut-over land. Priest River Valley, Bonner County, Idaho. The Halley family, FSA (Farm Security Administration) borrowers.”

• Virginia Ellwood
    February 24, 2015 at 9:26 am

Thank you so much for the information. I have been searching for a great-aunt in South Dakota in Roberts County and have had no luck. Maybe this will help.

• twosiders@yahoo.com
    February 24, 2015 at 5:46 am

anything on William Edward Sider st catharines ontaio Canada

• February 23, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Genealogy records for Denmark (in English and Danish)

• Shar
    February 23, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for all the great sites.

• February 23, 2015 at 8:34 am

Families in British India Society http://www.fibis.org a free searchable database of millions of records free to search, free research guides in it’s wiki and a gallery of free images to browse and search. You would be surprised how many ancestors that have gone missing turn up in India!

• Nancy
    February 23, 2015 at 7:11 am

Thank you so much for all the website ideas!! I only knew of 2 of them – ancestry.com and my heritage.com. These are fabulous! Thanks again.

• Sandra Duffy
    February 22, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I found the following site most helpful in finding death certificates of relatives in Missouri. http://www.sos.mo.gov/records/archives/archivesdb/deathcertificates/ and would love to know the URL of other state death cert. archives.

• Judy Bohn
    February 22, 2015 at 12:27 pm

It is interesting to read about them! Some I have heard of, others I have not!

• February 22, 2015 at 9:36 am

USGenWeb.org has every county in every state listed. Volunteers maintain each county website. Lots of good information for researchers to go to if they know a particular county their ancestors were from. There is also Worldgenweb.org and Canadagenweb.org.

• February 22, 2015 at 8:56 am

Genealogy Trails at genealogytrails.com is ranked in the top 100 genealogy websites worldwide.
    Totally free websites of transcribed data. No ads, no banners, very few links – just DATA! Over 2 million records online – all FREE.

• February 22, 2015 at 2:01 am

For norwegian research:
    The Norwegian National Archives do have all the churchbooks, probate, censuses and a lot more free of charge http://arkivverket.no/arkivverket/Digitalarkivet. (English/Norwegian menus)
    There is a big Norwegian AncestryWiki also at: http://www.genealogi.no/mediawiki/index.php/Portal:Hovedside (only in Norwegian)

• Lorraine Tingstad
      March 1, 2015 at 10:33 am

Went into this site but it was all in Norwegian. I need English – any suggestions?

• Barb Kehr
        September 30, 2015 at 10:35 am

I don’t know if you tried this, but if you are on the site, and right click with your mouse, a menu came up for me that had the option ‘Translate to English’. Best of luck.

• Colleen Plucinski
    February 22, 2015 at 1:58 am

Wiewaswie.com can be viewed in english by clicking on the english button on the top of the page. I use this site almost daily! Thank you for sharing all these free sites it makes the search so much easier.

• February 22, 2015 at 12:56 am

#52 New Zealand newspapers digitised and free to search and download for those researching downunder. I agree with BoB above Trove-Australian newspaper site should be included also.

• linda
      February 23, 2015 at 10:05 am

I am struggling with new Zealand records for my family. Would you be able to tell me where to look for the newspapers and any other good records sites please.

• Mary Farrelly
        February 25, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Two NZ sites that give national coverage:

• salty antoni
        November 10, 2015 at 6:17 pm

For help with NZ burial locations

Judith (Judy) Whyte
        Community Services Administration Officer
        Central Otago District Council
        1 Dunorling Street
        PO Box 122
        DDI: 03 440 0618
        Fax: 03 440 0606
        Email: judith.whyte@codc.govt.nz

• salty antoni
        November 11, 2015 at 7:15 am

FYI just noticed this one on the other updated list !!!
        7. NZ Birth, Death and Marriages Online: This site offers more than 3 million historical birth, death and marriage records for New Zealand. You can search the extensive index and order complete records when available.

• February 22, 2015 at 12:50 am

Lots of info to be found on this site, photos, maps, plot numbers and names of others interned in grave . Also has links to other cemeteries in liverpool.

• February 22, 2015 at 12:40 am

Information online of whose buried ,plot numbers, maps of cemetery and lots of photos of graves. Is an on going project. Also has links to other cemeteries in liverpool

• Alice Crocker Johnson
    February 21, 2015 at 11:41 am

Rernews my interest in genealogy! Wish had had there sites 30 years ago when was doing so much driving up and down the east coast of the US… Thanks so much for your work in bringing all these sites together…

• Ashley Odell
    February 21, 2015 at 9:30 am

Geni.com. My favorite thing about searching there is that I can pull up a profile and see all the sources and documents people have already attached. So if I’m without access to a particular database and can’t easily get a record I’m looking for, I can often find the record already uploaded on Geni. And if nothing else, I can find at least one other person researching the same line, so we can collaborate.

• Christine Tweed
    February 21, 2015 at 2:04 am

I will definately try some of these sites as I have been struggling to find various information, thanks.

• Rose Earley
    February 20, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Another resource is as follows:

• M McNulty
    February 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Thank you for the great info. I appreciate all the hard work of everyone out there.

• February 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for sharing. Really gonna come in handy. Having trouble finding families.. Thanks again. Joy

• K.J. McIntyre
    February 20, 2015 at 9:44 am

thank you for consistently providing helpful information